Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Demise of the Ninebark & the Garbage Disposal

Dear John,
Good morning!
Yes, it's Sunday morning. I didn't get a chance to talk to you until 10:30 last night, and you wouldn't have wanted to talk to me then. I've had some sleep and some recovery, so I have pronounced myself fit for human companionship.
Jim and Irene were here yesterday, and a great time was had by all. I met them at Lux CafĂ© for breakfast, then Jim came back here to work and Irene and I went to the farmers' market, then to Meijer for a new litter box. They needed fly swatters and couldn't find any in Springfield, so I took her to the hardware store here in town. With the sale barn and all, Topeka is fly central. We always have fly swatters here.

Coming soon to a flowerbed near you -
in case you've forgotten what a dwarf barberry is!
Jim built and hung a new gate to replace the one I'd made fifteen years ago. It matches the gate he made last year and is lovely. And he fixed the latch on last year's gate so it will be easier for me to open. While he was doing that, Irene and I weeded, deadheaded, and cut back all of the flower beds. And we got rid of those three ninebark bushes that were such a nuisance. Irene cut them down to the ground and we hauled them to the town compost heap. I still need to dig up the root balls. I think I'm going to replace them with dwarf barberries - THEY won't need to be cut back a foot every month. Jim hung the quilt I made for your mother over the table in my workroom - it looks like it was made for that spot.  Then we cleaned out the garage and rearranged the west side, and I took us all to El Zorito for dinner.
After dinner we had a brief funeral service for the garbage disposal. Its demise is too complex to detail here, but I'm glad it's gone. I'll spend Wednesday re-plumbing that side of the sink. Jim was a bit concerned about me doing it, but I did all of the plumbing under that sink so I'll be fine. I'll check with JJ and be sure I get what I need for the dishwasher connection, and I'll need new pipe dope since what I have is five years old. But it should be no problem. Until then, I won't use the right sink or the dishwasher. No problem there. I covered the hole so Hunter can't get his head stuck in it. So all is well. The disposal kept jamming because of corrosion, so I'm much better off without it. I hardly ever used it, anyway.
Then I fed the animals and got ready for bed, and the fibro hit. I don't mind talking to you when I'm hurting, but this was major akathesia, where you feel like jumping out of your skin and screaming. Since I love you, I wasn't about to foist myself on you in that condition. So I went to bed. I slept until 10:00 this morning and feel reasonably human now.
To sum up: Yesterday was wonderful. I had a great time and we got an amazing amount of work done. Everything except the end of my nose hurts and the house looks terrific. Jim and Irene are so encouraging, too. They remind me that it's okay if I can't keep things done by myself to the standard that we could together. Have I ever told you how much I love your family? I may have mentioned it a time or two. Thank you for making me related to such wonderful people.
Be sure to stop in when you come by to see the house! Adore you,

No comments:

Post a Comment