Thursday, June 25, 2015

I Used to be Afraid of Hurdles, but I Got Over It

Dear John,
It's been a busy day off. I'll need to go back to work tomorrow to get some rest.
I was up past midnight last night - mowed late, talked to Jen, took a shower - so I slept in until 9:00 this morning. Today was for taking care of things that had been hanging around for a while. I ordered a bunch of sock yarn this morning. I got on the phone today and scheduled a mammogram, power washing for the house, and an estimate on the roof. I picked up the food I'm taking for the carry-in lunch tomorrow. I mailed some return items at the post office. I went to the hardware store and had the house key duplicated, got a new flashlight, and got some tips from JJ for fixing the toilet in our bathroom that wants to keep running. I came home and caught up financials, emptied the dishwasher, and took out the trash. And then I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Lowe's.
I'm having trouble paying the bill for the water heater. The website keeps locking me out because I'm not you. Today is the fourth time in three years that I've tried to get the card changed over from your name to mine. I finally ended up on the phone with the probate department and was told that I can only talk to them between 8 and 5, Monday through Thursday. I'll try again on my day off next week. I was talking about just canceling the card and getting another in my name, but since I was listed as a signer on your card, I'd have to wait a year before they'd give me my own card. None of our other credit cards had a problem getting things changed over. I am exceedingly frustrated. This is to be continued next week. If it isn't solved, I may have to resort to mailing in checks instead of paying them online. The tragedy of it all!
I crossed another hurdle today, and a big one. I went back to the Kendalville Pizza Hut. I've never been there without you, even when you worked there. This is my first time back since we went together about six months before your death. But I was out running errands with Richard today and we were in Kendalville at lunchtime. So it seemed like time to get past that. It was a bit emotional, but good. Tammy is still there and waited on us - that was very special. Ben is working at the store in Ligonier. I didn't see anyone else that I knew. But the food is the same; the d├ęcor hasn't even been changed. It still smells like Pizza Hut, like all those uniforms of yours that I washed every day for fifteen years. I enjoyed going back. It was good to go with a friend who understood how big a step it was for me. I'll do that again.
I got over lots of hurdles today - the toilet, the phone calls, and your Pizza Hut. And it feels good. There's one thing you can do for me if you get a chance. Please call Lowe's and assure them that you are deceased and it's okay with you if the card is put in my name. Everybody I talked to - four of them - insisted that they had to speak to you and not me. So give them a call, for goodness sake! Let's get this straightened out. At this moment, I'd be happy if you'd haunt all of them.
Peeved, frustrated, and still in love,

No comments:

Post a Comment